Wednesday 28 November 2012

End of season nasturtium pesto

There's a big frost coming tonight, hopefully it will warm a little during the day tomorrow, but I fear its the last chance saloon for those yummy nasturtium leaves.

I finished work at 4.15pm today so I thought if I hurry home I may be able to harvest those leaves in the light.  Sadly it was dark by 4.45pm so it was a job to be done with my trusty head torch!

I managed to harvest 30g of leaves.  Pretty good for some last of the season pesto.

I didn't have all the usual ingredients for the pesto and threw it together with what I had in the kitchen but it made some mighty fine pesto.

Here's tonight's ingredients:

30g pesto leaves
Rapeseed oil/balsamic vinegar (left over from a used jar of slow roasted tomatoes)
2 garlic cloves
A generous scoop of pickled nasturtium seeds

I whizzed it together in the food processor and it's something like a vinaigrette pesto combination.  When I tasted it for seasoning it was perfect - no seasoning required.  Very peppery!


No comments:

Post a Comment