Tuesday 28 June 2011

A-Pizza Style Pie

Last weekend when I was rolling out my usual pizza dough, I thought I would try lining a dish with pizza dough (in a similar style to pastry) and putting the pizza topping inside with cheese on top.  It tasted amazing and was a little less messy to eat than my usual Saturday night pizza, so I thought I would share it with you.



Ingredients:

Saved home made bread dough - 350g  (Bread Recipe)
Tin chopped tomato
Wet garlic - 12 cloves
Pesto - table spoon full
Sweet Pepper
Ground chilli pepper - 2 good pinches
Chopped spring onion
Cumin flavoured buffalo cheese - 50g (or your favourite crumbly goats cheese)
Cheddar cheese (for grating over the top)

1.  Roll out the pizza dough until it is large enough to line your oven dish.  Leave the dough to prove in the dish while you make the filling.

2.  Pour a tin of chopped tomato into a saucepan and start to heat on a low heat.  Add a table spoon of your favourite pesto.  Add the cloves of garlic.  Chop the sweet pepper and add to the sauce too.  Add a few pinches of ground chilli pepper (preferably from home grown chillis if available).  Turn up the heat a little so that the sauce simmers and thickens.  When it has thickened to your satisfaction, it is ready to put into your dish of pizza dough.

3.  Add cubes or crumbles of the cheese of your choice on to the tomato sauce filling and the chopped spring onions.  Grate some cheddar cheese (or other favourite hard cheese).

4.  Place in the oven preheated at 200 degrees centigrade.

5.  When the cheese topping looks nicely browned, its ready to eat.  (I find it takes about 10-15 minutes, but I keep checking every 5 minutes to see if its ready just so I catch it when its cooked exactly to my liking)

Enjoy!!

Funnily enough, as soon as I got it out of the oven, my neighbours knocked on the door.  They obviously smelt my pizza pie!!  And this is what happened ...


I wouldn't let them finish it all though as wanted some left overs for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment