12 tomatoes / 500g will fill a standard jam jar
White Wine Vinegar
1. Cut your tomatoes in half (about 12 tomatoes or 500g will be sufficient for a typical jam jar)
2. Lay them on the grill tray cut side up and put the oven on the lowest temp the oven has (my oven's lowest temp is 80 degrees C).
3. Then leave them in the oven checking progress about once an hour. They take about 6 - 8 hours to fully dry. When they are ready they are still a little plump and firm to the touch (not completely dried out and hard or soft and squashy)
4. Allow the tomatoes to cool
5. Then put them in a dish with a little vinegar (about 50% white vinegar / 50% balsamic). This should be enough vinegar to just cover the tomatoes
6. After about 15 mintues they are ready to be packed into their jar. Pour in the tomatoes with the vinegar and pour enough oil to completely cover the tomatoes.
7. Seal the jars - I do this by placing the jars in a bath of simmering water for 20 minutes. There are other methods and a good preserving cook book will offer a variety of methods.
8. Label your jars. Store in your food cupboard for up to 4 months and once you open a jar, store in the fridge and consume within a month.