I was just about to go to visit my family in a couple of days so felt I had to do something with the free chard or they may be wasted, but what to cook?
I recently came upon a courgette polpette recipe and thought I would tweak it slightly and use the chard in a similar way.
This dish just uses the stalks.
1. Dice the stalks and chop some onions or shallots. Lightly fry for 10 minutes.
2. Chop a couple of chillies and several garlic cloves (for the flavouring)
3. Crack open a couple of eggs and whisk
4. Put the chopped chillies, garlic cloves and eggs in a mixing bowl.
5. Add 100g bread crumbs and 100g goats cheese to the mixing bowl.
6. The stalks and chopped onions should be ready to add to the mixture now.
7. Get a tin tray ready and grease it. Then turn on the oven to preheat at 200 degrees centigrade.
8. Next make sure the mixture in the bowl is well mixed and evenly distributed. Then make the orb shapes out of the mixture with your hands.
9. Place the orbs on the tin tray and then place in the oven for about 10 - 20 minutes. (Check them after 10 minutes). Remove them from the oven when they are golden brown.
Ingredients I used for this recipe
500g chard stalks (or a good crop of chard stalks, I'm sure 200g would work perfectly well)
100g bread crumbs (best from home made fresh bread)
100g crumbly goats cheese
Have you got any great ideas for excess chard?