Wednesday 3 August 2011

A good summer roast



With all the squash 
Crookneck Summer Squash - Seeds from Real Seeds
and courgettes ripening in our gardens, its time to get the squash recipes out...
Striata di Napoli - Seeds from Real Seeds


One of the first things I did when I had my very first courgettes grew in my garden was to lightly fry them with tomatoes and garlic.  I thought this tasted absolutely amazing.  It was the first time I was eating food I'd grown myself.  It was like nectar from the gods!!

Since then, I've discovered roasting vegetables is a wonderful thing to do with vegetables as it brings out the sugars in them.

Zapallito de Toscana - Seeds from Heritage Seed Library

One of my favourite veggie roasts is to roast squash with a good slice of mild goats cheese and a sprinkle of chilli powder on top if you like it a bit spicy.  Also, I like to roast them in the midst of lots of chopped onion and garlic.  Onion has a wonderfully sweet flavour when roasted which compliments squash perfectly.  If you are a carnivore, pork and apple sausages from your local butchers or farmers market will compliment the roasted squash and onions perfectly.  You could even experiment with a little roasted apple in there too...depends how sweet you like your savoury.  Crank the oven up to 40 degrees and in 30-45 minutes (when it all looks nicely browned to your liking) enjoy the fruits of your labours of growing your own! 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment