Thursday 18 August 2011

Scone Recipe


Got lots of new summer preserves? Well there's nothing better for them to go with than some gorgeous straight out of the oven fresh scones.

I've been baking scones since I was about 7 years old.  My mother must have taught me as I loved eating mum's straight out of the oven, butter melting, jam warming scones.  It was something we cooked when the oven was hot.

We had an old Rayburn which was coal powered so we would have to heat up the oven to over 400 degrees fahrenheit.  As soon as the dial reached 400 degrees, we'd whip out the big bowl and start making our mixture.

By the age of 10 I was displaying my scones at our local village fair.  I didn't win a prize for my scones, but when we came to collect them, they'd gone!  Mum told me, that it must be because they were just too tasty that they'd disappeared!!

So here's how I make my scones...


1. Pour 300g self raising flour into your mixing bowl.

(For my friends in Hong Kong self raising flour may be difficult to find.  Baking powder and white flour will do the same job...300g white flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder)






2. Pour in 100g sugar into the bowl











3.  And add 75g margarine (I use margarine because my boyfriend's lactose intolerant but use butter if you prefer) 
4. Mix all the ingredients together with your finger tips and keep mixing until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs
5. Pour 120 ml full fat milk (raw milk from you local dairy or farmers market is best or lacto free milk for lactose intolerant sufferers).  Break an egg into the jug too and whisk together.
6.  If you would like raisins in your scones, mix them into the breadcrumb like mixture now.

7.  Make a well in the middle of the mixture in the bowl with a wooden spoon and pour about half the liquid mixture in the middle.  Work the mixture together with your wooden spoon.  When done, repeat the process for the rest of the liquid mixture.  Again work it through with the wooden spoon and when its worked through its time to get your hands in a knead the mixture together with your hands.  If the dough feels a little wet add a little flour, or if too dry add a little more milk.  If you are happy, it's time to get your dough on the table and switch on the oven at a temp of 200 degrees centigrade.

8.  Get a metal tray out of the cupboard and flour the tray.  Flatten the scone dough (I do this with the palms of my hands but you can use a rolling pin if you like).  With a pastry cutter cut your scones out of the dough and place on the tray.  Next you are ready to put the scones in the oven.  They should be ready within 10 - 20 minutes (depending how fierce your oven is).  Keep an eye on them and as soon as they are golden brown, get them out of the oven and allow to cool.

Or if you are brave or prepared to risk burnt fingers, pick a hot scones, break it open and melt some butter and jam and let them melt in your mouth.  Yum!

Ingredients List:

300g Self raising organic flour
100g Sugar
75g   Butter or margarine
1       Medium free range egg
120ml Full fat milk
100g Sultanas

No comments:

Post a Comment